“One of the things that may get in the way of people is that they are not in touch with their passion. If you are passionate about what it is you do then you are going to be looking for everything you can to get better at it.” Jack Canfield
If I am passionate about writing, shouldn’t I find ways to become good…..better at it?
If you find happiness in something that you love doing, an activity that you are passionate about, then your passion should be able to fuel your desire to seek out ways to become better at it.
Probably you are in the demographic of people who have lost touch in what they love doing and are only hanging on to a job, not because of their love for the job but because of the pay. If this description fits you then this post has got you all covered. You are not alone. A demography by Deloitte Millennial survey has it that two-thirds of Millennia’s express a desire to leave their job by 2020.
By the way, would you leave a job that you are passionate about?
Instead of pining in a job that you don’t enjoy or have no passion for, you create one for yourself. And there’s a tricky part to creating a job you love….it’s marketability. Read up these tips to help you.
What Is Your Passion?
Your passion is that activity which you have developed a strong feeling, excitement, and devotion to. It didn’t come out from the blues or mars. Neither is it a hobby. It has been there all along while you were growing up. Something that leaves you with a sense of peace and fulfillment whenever you settle down to do it.
This activity could be writing, painting,photography, catering just to mention.
And if you are yet to know the benefits of pursuing your passion and turning your passion into a career, here they are.
Why You Should Turn Your Passion Into A Career
- Job satisfaction: one of the things that can give you job satisfaction in your work is when you are passionate about it.Doing the work that you love will make it easier for you since you are giving it all your shot.
Again, the passion that comes from within will help fast-track the job.
- Reduces stress: stress is a common malaise in workplaces. One of the reasons why you are stressed at your workplace is because you are unhappy with your job. Stress has a way of reducing your efficiency in your job, erodes your ability to focus and remember things. When you are happy, passionate with your career, it helps reduce stress and improve your health condition.
- Boost confidence: Confidence increases your productivity in your career. When you know your job, are happy with your job and passionate about it, it boosts your confidence. Confidence helps deal with challenges when they arise. Your passion for a job will increase your confidence in the job, motivate you to set goals and accomplish them.
- Consistency: Your devotion to a job will drive you to become consistent in that which you love to do. Consistency is the key for a successful career. When your consistency steam runs out, your passion will serve as the adrenaline to shoot it up
- Freedom: Everyone wants freedom. Freedom to do what they love doing. When you do the work you have a passion for, it removes the feeling of been caged to do want you don’t like doing.
Now, what does this mean for you?
You are much more going to be happy and fulfilled when you make a career out of your passion.
These easy steps will show you how to turn your passion into your dream career.
5 Easy Steps To Turn Your Passion Into A Career
1. Discover Your Passion
As I mentioned before; your passion comes from within, something that gives you a sense of joy and fulfillment. It is a gift wired into you. You don’t struggle to do it.You don’t even get bored because engaging in that activity makes you happy.
. Go down memory lane back to your childhood days. What were the things you loved doing?
I could vividly remember reading as many storybooks that I can lay my hands on. Then, I only made friends with the children who have storybooks, all to borrow their storybooks and read.
How funny now! My love for reading has transitioned over the years and help shape my career choice….freelance writer.
Yours could be traveling, teaching, drawing just like Walt Disney who discovered and developed his passion for drawing at a younger age. He sold his drawings to his neighbors at the age of seven. Keep an open mind about your passion
2.Explore your passion
Once you’ve discovered what you love doing, the next thing is to search for ways to become better at it
.This you can do by polishing your skill,taking lessons. People only pay for good services and when you add value to their lives.
Do you love writing? Take a writing course. Write every day. Perhaps you love talking to people, then take a public speaking class. The idea is to start getting a feel of your passion and positioning yourself in your choice of career
3.Look for like-minds
Starting out to make a career out of your passion will lead to testing the waters before you begin. There are people who are doing what you want to do for a living. They are successful people who have tested the waters and know where you might sink. Seek them out. Read their stories. They obviously have an advice or tip to help you take off on your career path.
4.Look for a platform
As it is, the only way to become better at what you love doing is in finding the platform to express yourself. Start from somewhere. Walt Disney started by drawing for his neighbors.If you love making dresses, start sewing for yourself and family. Do you love to write? Start putting up posts every day on your social media account. You can as well start blogging.Wordpress is great for that.
Starting with any available platform is just a great way of nurturing and building your potentials.
5. Set Your Priorities Right
It is one thing to find your passion, it is another thing to follow it.
You see, pursuing your passion and living your dreams is not going to be easy, if you don’t make the decision to set your priorities right. Nobody asks to be distracted or sidelined along the path to living their dreams. Turning your passion into a sustainable career is a priority you have to guide and stick to….if you want it to work out. Be prepared to make sacrifices and work hard.
It’s hard work. You need more than just passion for pulling it off. You need discipline too
Summing it all up
It’s not all about the external values (what you stand to gain from a job), but for the internal values (the people you help solve their problems and the fulfillment you get).
Over to you, are you doing what you love doing? How did you turn your passion into a career? Hit the comment box and share your thoughts.
If you find this post useful, don’t forget to share.